Monday, January 10, 2011

Maple Syrup


What's not to love about maple syrup?  Mike grew up on the real stuff, in and on just about everything.  As Mike recalled to me, Dennis traded accounting services for buckets full of the stuff, an arrangement he made with an uncle.  Since Joan was helping the family avoid refined sugars, it was the perfect recipe for culinary bliss all around.  With bananas.  In coffee.  And of course, on pancakes.

When I met Mike, he hadn't even heard of the alternative,  'maple-flavoured' thickened goo that some of the rest of us grew up on.  Ah, to live in such a paradise...

Once Lucas and Emily arrived in our lives, I was happy to just survive dinner making each night.  So, we would often have 'breakfast for dinner' on Friday nights.  This would usually consist of pancakes, fruit salad, scrambled eggs, orange juice, and loads of maple syrup.  Mike would say deadpan:  'Pancakes are just a receptacle for maple syrup'.  The ultimate pancake ladden plate would consist of 3-4 pancakes pilled high, topped with a huge glob of yogurt,  many heaping spoonful of fruit salad, and then that glorious golden syrup.

We've continue 'breakfast for dinner', but with life pretty hectic, it can hit any night of the week.  I've discovered freezing them, which has become my life-saving stash.

 Lucas loves the stuff.  Emily yells:  'Mmmmmmore syrup!'.  All I can do is smile.

1 comment:

  1. "Breakfast for dinner" - what a great idea. I think I will make it my culinary contribution to Veenhuyzen family meals.

    ReplyDelete