Sunday, January 16, 2011

'With My Own Two Hands'






This was the song we played at Mike’s memorial in Grant Hall.  I’m not sure why we could hear all the instrumentals that day, but the lyrics faded in and out.  I guess there was some kind of glitch with the sound system.  I’ve included all the lyrics below, for those of you who weren’t familiar with the song. 

We were first given the Curious George CD (Jack Johnston) as a baby shower gift.   Mike loved it instantly and listened to it often in preparation for fatherhood and all that he imagined it might be.  And when Mike liked something, he loved it.  So he listened to it over and over again. We since bought many of Jack Johnston’s other CDs.

‘With My Own Two Hands’ is a song that is very touching to me and brings me to tears without fail.  This song makes me  think about all  that Mike gave to us.  ‘A better place’.  ‘A brighter place’.  ‘A safer place’. ‘A kinder place’ . I also think about his hands in a more literal sense.  I think about the many people to which his  strong hands provided care at the hospital.  I think about the time when the movements in his right arm first became ever-so-slightly difficult to coordinate.  I think about how he immediately discontinued the lab work that involved ‘hands-on’ patient care.   I also think about his hands wrapped tightly around his friends and family and me and Lucas and Emily.







In losing Mike, we can also think about our own place in this world.  We can think about how to stretch and extend ourselves to give a little more.  And in the literal sense, I will use my hands as an extension of Mike’s hands to pass on his love to Lucas and Emily- hugs, tickles, wrestling….  and those Mike-tackle-take-you–down bear hugs  (just gave one to Lucas today in the snow at the bottom of a toboggan hill:    ‘Lucas, if Daddy were here, this is what he would do to you….run-run-run-….ahhhhh… plop in the snow…laughing….).




"With My Own Two Hands"-  Jack Johnston

I can change the world
With my own two hands
Make it a better place
With my own two hands
Make it a kinder place
With my own two hands
With my own
With my own two hands

I can make peace on earth
With my own two hands
I can clean up the earth
With my own two hands
I can reach out to you
With my own two hands
With my own
With my own two hands

I'm going to make it a brighter place
With my own two hands
I'm going to make it a safer place
With my own two hands
I'm going to help the human race
With my own two hands
With my own
With my own two hands

I can hold you
With my own two hands
I can comfort you
With my own two hands
But you've got to use
Use your own two hands
Use your own
Use your own two hands
With our own
With our own two hands
With my own
With my own two hands

1 comment:

  1. It is a great CD- Mike left it as a gift when our son was born. I was working late in the clinic and he couldn't get into the building to reach me. I was in town for a short while only. I found it gift wrapped and pinned to my windshield in the early hours of the next morning on my way home. I knew it meant a lot to him to share it with us. That was our first encounter with curious george but definitely not our last.

    ReplyDelete