Friday, January 28, 2011

Spiderman and Little Mr. Muffet


There was a spider crawling on the wall a few days ago.  Lucas said, 'Touch it mommy!'... then ran away screaming when the spider started to move.  'Get it!  Get it!' he yelled, as though a T. Rex. was about to crash into the bathroom.  Oh, that was so Mike.

Though both Lucas and Mike share the love of superheros, even superheros have their weaknesses.  And though Lucas enjoys being super-powered Spiderman...  just don't let him get too close to the real thing.  Mike could empty mouse traps with the best of them (thank goodness) but couldn't handle a creepy crawler, or worse yet, a buzzing bee.

Lucky for Mike growing up, Matthew perfected a technique of sucking bees and wasps into a vacuum cleaner.  I've even eye-witnessed the process.   Surely Mike (and Alison) were the ones who would urge Matthew on...

Poor Lucas was stung by a wasp last summer.  His hand was swollen and sore.  This surely gives him justification for his response to bees.  His run-for-your-life-mommy-pleasssssse-save-me fear is certainly on par with Mike's.  However, I don't think Mike was ever stung given (or in spite of) all the squealing, hand waving, and vacuuming!  I guess in Mike's case, the buzz was always bigger than the bite:)  Mike could usually laugh about the drama.... once the bee was gone....

3 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that Mike had been so scared/freaked out about bugs/bees. We'll have to take Lucas to the bug collection at the Nature Museum in Ottawa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like father like son - amazing. I loved the way Mike could laugh at himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly think that the vacuum idea is a great one .... all that chasing around we do to get critters in the house .... brilliant .... the technnique will be applied here in Sarnia - thank you Nault family.

    Adam loves the picture of Lucas as a superhero!

    ReplyDelete