Monday, February 13, 2012

Reflections


As I move through the process of re-reading this blog, I realize how much it has helped me to remember Mike when he was healthy-- not just stories and anecdotes but also his physical abilities and appearance.  Dexamethasone was a drug used to reduce swelling in Mike's brain.  It has a long long list of side effects, which caused Mike's appearance to change.  The tumour caused Mike's right side to become weak.  After Mike died, I looked at older photos -- photos taken before the dexamethasone and before the tumour-- and hardly recognized him.  I had forgotten what he looked like before he was ill.  I don't know how that is possible, but it was true.  I had forgotten how Mike could give big, tackle hugs, wrestling people to the ground.  I had forgotten how he loved to fly the kids through the air or give silly piggy-back rides.  I had forgotten about his physical strength-- his ability to carry ALL the groceries, lift ALL the suitcases, portage the canoe the whole distance while carrying a heavy pack, beat pretty much anyone at an arm-wresting challenge, drop for 80 push-ups in a minute, and open the jar of spaghetti with a quick twist of the wrist (surely I must have loosened it...?).  I know Mike would want to be remembered as the happy, strong, and healthy person he was.  Now, when I read our stories and look at the photos, I feel that happy and healthy person alive again in my mind.  My brain has shifted back to remembering and celebrating all that is truly Mike-- strong-- and smiling.











3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures Sarah - my memories of you and Mike are full of health and happiness ... and the strength you mention was always something Mike exuded when with you ... a protective, loving force for you. It was a force as close to being tactile as it could be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was feeling the same as Catherine, Colleen and Lisa and thought I would take another look at the blog only to find that new pictures and comments had been added - thank you.
    Love, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, also, was feeling the void. Especially the void of the blog's connection to Sarah and the kids. I've learnt so much about life, love, grief, sharing, living in the moment, appreciating all we have, happiness, sadness, .... and the list goes on.... It was so nice to see some new posts and these new beautiful photos. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete