Mike would likely chuckle if he knew that I thought of him everytime I saw an image of Vitruvian Man or any other of da Vinci's iconic sketches of the human anatomy. While at Queen's, many of the guys we knew subscribed to the oh so clever and economical decor style of Sports Illustrated swimsuit posters, empty beer cans and stolen street signs to cover the bare walls of their student ghetto rooms. Mike, on the other hand, had a different style in mind. His Michelangelo print of the Hand of God and Adam seemed to be the jumping off point for his bedroom (which many of you will know, looked, well, the same, regardless of moving to a new house every other year of so). The beiges and browns in the poster really stood out when hung above his bed with the brown duvet cover, which coordinated beautifully with his brown desk lamp and brown chair and when he added some of his own da Vinci inspired sketches to the mix you can only imagine the "House and Home-esque" results.
I was a great admirer of Mike and his artistic, stylistic skills. I am missing him today.
(I happen to have a beautiful photo of Mike sitting at his desk in one of his student bedrooms but can't seem to get our scanner to work! Once I figure it out I will add it to the blog.)
Dear Sarah, Lucas, and Emily,
I hope you enjoyed a lovely breakfast in Mike’s honour and that you are having nicer weather than Vancouver for a special picnic lunch in Perth. My thoughts are with the three of you and of course with your extended families on this sad anniversary.
Hugs to all of you,
Love Jen
No comments:
Post a Comment