I have Mike to thank for a number of improvements in the Donnelly household. Every time I slide one of my kitchen or dining room chairs quietly and effortlessly along the floor, knowing with satisfaction that there are no scratches being left behind, I think about Mike. Every time I cut through a piece of meat or tomato with one of my knives, confident that the blade is sharpened to perfection, I think about Mike. Why? Because in the first instance I saw how effective those felt pieces were when I visited Sarah and Mike and followed their example and in the second case Mike, after visits to Barrie, took pity on me and bought me a knife sharpener.
As I observed Mike over the years I was struck by his attention to detail and I've come to see the benefits of that attention. If, for example, at Sarah's and Mike's home or apartment there was an unsightly cord exposed to view Mike would find unique ways to camouflage it. In one instance a little table was converted into a place to hide the TV workings and in another a tubing (something I'd never seen before ) was affixed over the wire and painted the wall colour. Cool - I thought. Or if a chair or table was a little off balance Mike would add to the bottom of each leg little silver pieces which could then be adjusted until the furniture was perfectly stable with no wobble at all. Very cool. He took great satisfaction in getting things just right.
And of course Mike had figured out a way to enjoy a hot tasty cup of coffee all day long. I know what you're thinking - he'd make multiple stops at Starbucks. Better than that - in the morning he would brew a big pot of his favourite coffee and pour whatever he didn't drink for breakfast into a thermos where it would stay fresh tasting most of the day (unlike the coffee I leave in my carafe on the heat rack).
And so to echo Catherine's sentiments - I'm continuing to learn from you Mike. I'm trying to pay attention to the little details. I really do cherish your approach.
Much love Carolyn
No comments:
Post a Comment