Monday, July 11, 2011

Bread and Band-Aids

Mike was a virtuous guy. I learned a lot from him and his joyous approach to life but for today's post, I want to write about one of his silly moments. There are a few Mike stories that just make me laugh whenever I think about them. Surely others know them too, and probably have a few more details than me.

In an earlier post someone mentioned Mike's arduous trek over to the Wolfe Island bakery. I don't remember a lot of the details about that temporary employment but for one short story. It involved Mike making bread with band-aids on his fingers. I don't remember why the band-aids were there - it was probably some jock type sports injury. Nevertheless, I do remember that at the end of mixing and kneading the dough, Mike realized the band aids were gone. He may have agonized over his subsequent decision of whether or not to tell the owners or co-workers but in the end left for the day without ever mentioning anything to anyone about the missing band-aids.

I don't remember Mike to be a great keeper of secrets - his childish grin seemed to reveal all his inner thoughts - but somehow on this occasion he managed. A couple years ago a friend of mine found a hair net in a loaf of rustic grocery store bread. She of course was disgusted but all I could do was laugh thinking of Mike and his great secret about the missing band-aids.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I remember hearing this one! The truth about Mike's hands was that his eczema was terrible when he had to wash his hands often (like in a bakery... or years later, in hospital...). His hands would crack and bleed, hence the band-aids. No cool sports injury to report (sorry, MIke). I think Mike noticed the missing band-aid at the end of his shift with all cookies sold....and rationalized that it was too late to do anything at that point...
    he didn't hear anything of it after that..???

    ReplyDelete