We are gathered here, collectively, to remember, to learn, to share, to laugh, to cry, to inspire, and to provide hope through our grief.
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
'Daddy Daddy with his Doctor Clothes'
Emily recognizes every photo of Mike and always yells out, 'Daddy!'. We look at photos often and she has extended attention for family pictures.
She knows that her Daddy died and will often ask, 'Why did daddy die?'. She wants to hear me try to explain this to her again and again. Sometimes Lucas tries too. I can't quite imagine what she understands. But I do know her rainbow connection to Mike flows steadily, through all of the memories and stories we share with her. We've recently started singing 'Rainbow Connection' as a bed-time song, at Lucas' request. With all the repetition, I'll sometimes catch Emily singing a few bars on her own during the day. It's pretty touching to hear her little voice squeak out, 'Why are there so many songs about rainbows, and what's on the other side....'.
I look for photos to show Emily to explain things about Mike, such as how he was a heart doctor. He wore green pajamas at work that got washed every day to keep the germs away. He helped people with hearts that would beat too fast or too slow or all mixed up. We were given a pair of mini green scrub PJs a few years ago for Lucas to wear (thanks Colleen) and I just dug them out for Emily. Now I can show her the photo of Mike wearing the same thing. I'm of course thinking Mini-Mike.... but no pressure, Emily, really... though she did just nurse her stuffed bear back to good health this morning, with toy stethoscope in hand. What would Mike say?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mike looks so handsome and happy in your King Street apartment :) I would love to see a picture of Emily in her scrubs .... no doubt, she is adorable :) Colleen
ReplyDelete