March, 2003. Dave and Mike goofing around in the kitchen.
Part 2 is clearly required, since I continue to come upon situations that warrant newly remembered Mike-isms. I laugh when they just pop out of my mouth, because it's as though Mike is right there, getting in his 2-cents, joking with Lucas and Emily.
Take for instance a few hot hazy days ago. We were all sticky and in serious need of a dunk somewhere cool. We hauled out our inflatable pool (thanks Megan) and turned on the hose. Lucas insisted we needed more power, so he cranked the pressure up even higher (typical 5 year old boy). It was 'master-blasting'. And there it was-- another Mike-ism.
Mike-ism: Translation
1. canteloupe: can-TE-lop-ee (as in Penelope)
2. pancakes: PAN-ca-kaz
3. butter: BOO-dra
4. That’s so satisfying: I just organized my closet and feel soooooo good!
5. I pulled the trigger: I finally bought something I’ve been wanting to buy. Ahhhh
retail therapy!
6. I need to work on my talk: I need to perfect my PowerPoint figures, even more,
even though I've already been puttering with the fine details for hours.
7. Sorry it hit you in the hands: I just threw the ball right into your hands and you
dropped it (Darren and Lisa reminded us of this one!)
8. I can’t hear you over your/my….: I’m pretending to be really distracted by _____
so I can’t focus on what you are saying. (example: your bad sunburn; my big
zit; your snazzy new shirt, your new haircut…)….poking fun at you and/or
self….
9. What’s the ding dang dong deal? (adapted from Eliot): What’s up with that?
10. Three then ten (adapted from Alison): I’m going to get up on the count of three,
followed by the count of 10. That’s how tired I am. I really don’t want to get
up and need to count as motivation. Really.
11. I can’t promise to try, but I’ll try to try (adapted from Homer Simpson): I don’t
really want to do what you’re asking of me so I’ll say this for a laugh…
12. Garbage juice: Stinky liquid that leaks out of garbage bags and drips
through the house and all the way to the curb.
13. Master-blasting: Shooting at turbo speed (e.g. That hose is master-blasting).
14. Doodle-berry: Doodler: Dude
15. Cheers, big ears (Mike's part): Same goes, big nose (my part)
16. (sneeze) Pardon? (another sneeze) That's what I thought you said: Sneeze-
humour, especially with Alison who always has the double or triple sneeze
17. Ga-zunt!: Gazuntite! (as in, after a sneeze)
Goofy with other languages….
18. Passez le salt: Pass the salt
19. Crossez le street: Cross the street…. you get the idea!
20. Commence de diddly spit: Goofy made-up french words from his dad, Dennis
21. Qu-est-que c’est le ding dong: see above
22. You’re on fiego!: You’re on fire!
23. Ciao-ciao!: See you later, dude.
Despite being bilingual (French/English), Mike would use his fake French often, for a laugh.
Other additions are most welcome....
No comments:
Post a Comment