Sunday, July 10, 2011

Mike's Many Homes ....

When I think of the childhood stories that I loved to hear most, a favourite topic was where my parents used to live – cities, houses, rooms, yards …. I loved getting the visual painted in my head and hearing the usual stories that went along with their descriptions.

When I was visiting Sarah, Lucas & Emily in Kingston this spring … I was truly struck by the fact that no matter what direction I turned in, there were places that Mike had lived … the downtown / university space was a space that Mike lived in and loved.

I thought, that for Emily & Lucas, we could collectively compile the stories of where Mike lived starting with this blog entry. I am in no way an expert in Mike’s “home history” – but collectively, I think we could paint a pretty accurate account. So if / when inclined … please fill in my many blanks – locations, infamous décor, good housemate stories, House & Home inspired moments 
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I met Mike in his 5th year at Queen’s (1995) … so already you see the gap in my knowledge base ….. !

I know from the slide show at Mike’s celebration of life, that Mike didn’t always live in the home I once visited in Toronto (these stories of early life with my parents, what my room looked like, floor plans, etc. were ones I could listen to again and again).

Then, I’m assuming, Mike moved into his beautiful family home that Dennis and Joan enjoy to this day. I’m sure there are lots of great stories from this home … did Mike always have an eye for good décor?

Undergrad …. hadn’t yet met Mike.

When I first met Mike we shared a class and a project. I had to drop a copy of the project to his place and I believe it was on the corner of Barrie and Johnson … .but I’m going by old footstep memories? and I was never inside this space. But I think I remember Mike saying it was a “hole”.

Next meeting was an apartment on Princess (near Princess and Division). Maybe just a summer residence?

Next home in my memory was an apartment downtown – I’m going to say (after referring to a map) that it was on Sydenham between Princess & Queen. I met up with and stayed with Sarah & Mike at this apartment (Sarah was teaching in Cornwall that year and I was teaching in Sarnia). Sadly when I stayed in this place – I fell stone cold asleep during a rather lively party that Mike was hosting … right on the couch in the middle of the party ….. it had been a crazy, nasty first year of teaching for me and the 5 hr drive from Sarnia had wiped me out.

Next home in my memory had a red wall and was somewhere in the vicinity of Wellington/Bagot and William/Earl? I remember walking up the back steps and Mike telling me about his Uncle Michael and Aunt Coral’s farm and how he would maybe grow veggies in pots that year as he didn’t have a garden space.

Next home in my memory is the one Sarah and Mike shared on King & West across from City Park …. absolutely lovely … the place fit them like a glove. My memory here is of the big purchase of the green chairs – made with a unique “microfiber” material that would stand the test of time. Knowing Sarah was frugal and that Mike liked the nicer, quality things in life, it inspired my Mike and me to look at the same chairs and consider if they would work in our then very small space. I also remember: a squirrel chewing through your screen there to get at your lovely bowl of fruit; Mike’s panel painting he did for Sarah hanging on the wall, all of the photographs from Europe beautifully hung on wires; a wonderful dining area with curtains that I noticed are still hanging in those windows; and a vibrant colour in the kitchen.

Next home in my memory was York Street. With a park and pool down the street, built in closets, an upstairs loungy area outside the bedrooms, … and what seemed like custom everything … the place had Sarah & Mike’s stamp. We stayed here one night when I was pregnant with Adam and had such a nice visit.

Next home Hill Street … where the palette is still evolving 

So … many, many gaps …. But perhaps a jumping point when you have the time to share your own memories of the spaces Mike called home.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Colleen, I'm impressed with your memory!
    I'll have to fill in some of these gaps on a few posts down the road, I think. Mike lived with Brad, Dave, and Jason throughout undergrad... but then a bunch of different friends just for summers, which adds up to A LOT of different apartments in Kingston over the years! As far as I know, Mike's first real decorating attempts started while living with Darren in med school-- the neon green bathroom (wasn't that supposed to be lime green?) and the red 'brick' drama wall. Darren was such a good sport.

    ReplyDelete