Monday, July 4, 2011

Julia & Mike

Mike died the day before Julia's third birthday. (This sets up trifecta of happy & sad June memories for Darren & I - Mike's death on June 13/10, Julia's birth on June 14/07, and our wedding anniversary on June 15/02.)
We often talk about Mike as "Lucas & Emily's dad". Whenever we speak about someone dying, including our elderly neighbour most recently, Julia will say "like Mike died". I have a feeling that Mike's death will forever be her reference point for knowing what it means to have someone die. We often look at pictures of our family get-togethers with the Naults and remember those wonderful times. Julia does have a few clear memories of Mike - and most of these revolve around cuddling up reading with him on the couch. This is her favourite picture with just her & Mike. It's from January 2010 and Mike is reading Winnie the Pooh to her. Lucas was running around and not interested in the book just then, but Julia gladly snuggled in for a story - a special time for her to enjoy Mike's undivided attention. I love this picture too - it reminds me of just how wonderful it was to be the recipient of Mike's attention. He knew just how to make everyone feel special and appreciated.



(And now, with a lump in my throat and tears building, I'll sign off for this post... Lisa)

No comments:

Post a Comment