Saturday, September 24, 2011

Signs of Wearing But No Decay

Summer 2008.  Lucas zoned out watching bed-time TV in Sarnia with Adam and Olivia. 
Mike brushing teeth... (Emily now wears those PJs)

I hadn't been to the dentist in 3 years, so was more than a bit apprehensive.
I'd had a couple of close calls-- cancelling at the last minute due to Lucas vomiting for my last attempt.  Before that, during Mike's illness and since his death, a dental appointment for me was way too far down the priority list.

The verdict:  Signs of Wearing But No Decay.

I almost laughed out loud when the dentist said this, thinking of myself. He got it right, in a lot of ways.  I'm happy to hear I'm not actively decaying.  The fact that I clench my teeth tightly when trying to concentrate and sometimes while sleeping, to the point of causing significant wear to my teeth, is no surprise.  I know there are other signs of wear-  both physical and emotional.  We're all worn from this journey-- some days a little more visibly worn than others.

I hope when we do feel worn out, in grief, and in life in general, the stories, photos, and anecdotes in this blog provide some cushion and maybe even a bit of inspiration to sink into our happy moments just a little more.



1 comment: