Saturday, September 17, 2011

Wedding reflections




It is Sept ... the perfect time of year. Not too hot, not too cold, with the feeling of change in the air. The kind of change that makes you enjoy the moment. Knowing that this moment will be short lived, that winter is around the corner.

It is the perfect time to get married - and almost 7 years ago Sarah and Mike did.
We has just moved to our new house and we just settling in ... as I recall we didn't have a table (the harvest table, from the market that my dad described earlier), we didn't have a couch and in fact we hardly had a lick of furniture. But we were just happy to be in Kingston and offer overflow space to Sarah and Mike.

I remember what a perfect day it turned out to be - the threat of showers, opening up to a sunny day. I remember the ceremony at the University club, the dinner upstairs. I remember Mike's speech to Sarah and Sarah's to Mike. I also remember feeling, as Sarah poignantly described earlier, "happy sad". Because Mike had known about his brain tumour and not many others did. I remember feeling so happy, but so sad at the injustice of everything.

Most brides and grooms do not enter life together with such knowledge. But Mike and Sarah did and they were always hopeful. Their wedding was hopeful, happy and a moment suspended in time.

Happy Anniversary ... thinking of you both and wishing I could go back to that day 7 years ago.

Love Catherine






No comments:

Post a Comment