Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Directory


Seeing Mike's email directory a few days ago or remembering his iPhone directory reminds me of some important things about Mike:
-he knew a LOT of people
-if you met him, you probably made it into his directory!
-he made connections with people easily
-he was highly organized and comprehensive
-he paid attention to detail -- he even had photos for his directory so that he could see                 your smiling face appear on his iPhone when you called him (super-geeky)
-he took great satisfaction in lists
-he liked cool technology, especially anything Mac, of course

I often need to refer to these directories, to connect with Mike's colleagues, family, and our mutual friends.  I can't help but marvel at the shear number of contacts.... everything from favourite restaurants (it goes without saying the Cooke's and Pan Chancho would be included) to stores, our plumber, and associations/work affiliations.  He also had group lists for efficiency-- several lists for work but also two other important groups for him:  'basketball' and 'baby announcement'.  The 'basketball' list included the group of guys he organized for pick-up basketball at the school near KGH.  Mike had such a great time with that group, doing his best and having a laugh about it, despite difficulty coordinating the movements of his right leg (at that time).  The 'baby announcement' included basically EVERYONE on his contacts list.  It's the largest, most far-reaching baby announcement I've every seen.  I guess that shows where his priorities were and just how proud he was.  I have an old address book (note there is no 'i' in front of the word book) that has scratched out addresses and arrows everywhere, as friends move-out, move-in, move over....!  In contrast, Mike's list is complete, organized, and efficient.  He would smile at that, and think, 'how satisfying'.  Alison, I think you can relate to that...!

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely relate to Mike's appreciation of well organized things.

    Unfortunately, I don't get the same sense of satisfaction when I look at my iPhone contacts, which pale in comparison to Mike's.

    ReplyDelete