Thursday, May 12, 2011

Three Little Birds


Mike died on June 13th and that day has been in my thoughts, as we inch out of winter and get closer and closer to spring (maybe it is finally here in Kingston?).  I've been thinking most recently about the trip to the cemetery when Mike was buried, in part because Lucas, Emily and I were just there last weekend.  Going to the cemetery makes me feel as though I've never left.   But then I look at Lucas and Emily and can see how much they have changed.  Without them, I would wonder why the seasons are changing when I'm still standing in the same place.

I was playing music from Elizabeth Mitchell's CD on the weekend, music that came to me a few years ago by way of my little birdie-friend in Australia.   Mike latched onto this CD quickly-- it's so sweet.  He had such a soft spot for children's music and this was certainly one of his favourites.  At the cemetery, we joined together to sing 'Three Little Birds'.  I'm not sure if everyone realized this is was intended version, not Bob Marley's original (with all due respect).  I could hear the children singing in the background and the sweetness in their voices, as they assured us 'don't worry' -- 'cause every little thing is gonna be alright'.  As I sang the song, I was trying hard to believe...


I also think of Mike and his optimism with the words from the song, 'Woke up this morning, smiled at the rising sun...'.  This is similar to Uncle Elephant's way of greeting the day, who trumpeted the dawn with a big 'Voooomarooom!'.  These words and images resonated with Mike.  Mike and I learned to cherish each new day.

My three little birds are Mike, Lucas and Emily, particularly Emily as our little bird-- was a gift to Mike for him to watch flutter (wobble, crawl, teeter) around our house.  Watching birds now bring me comfort.  We have a 'Daddy crow' that swoops between the trees near our house.  He followed us all through the quiet winter months, his dark wings a strong contrast to the white snow.  His loud call (caw-caw) would call our attention!  Birds are my little messengers, telling me everything will be alright.




1 comment:

  1. Mike sent this song to me in February 2008 via email.

    With the exception of Mike's enjoyment of top 40 music, we had very similar taste in music. A topic for another blog entry...

    ReplyDelete