That is the best thing about gardens - you can transform them each year. Art in nature. Which makes me think of Mike. I know that he would have been painstakingly planning the garden. Reading gardening magazines, researching on the computer, touring the neigbourhood. But what I have smiled about most in the process is the grass!
The grass in the front of the house is having some difficulty growing ... :) In fact it is downright patchy! The funny thing is that the very small patch of grass at their first house also had some serious growth issues. Mike spent each spring prepping, priming and seeding. One year he brought in a complete new layer of soil and reseeded. That didn't work. The next year it was sod. That didn't take.
There is something about Mike and grass. Every time I walk up to the house and see the sad bits of grass I laugh to myself and think MIKE! I know that he is enjoying watching the small blades of grass. And Emily .. just maybe the grass on the steps is starting to grow!!
Yes Cath -I can just picture Mike carefully planning the landscaping with as much attention as he would give to the inside of their home. In fact I have a gardening book that I had lent to Mike and Sarah and true to form when they returned it there were a multitude of paper pieces sticking out of the top - reminders to Mike that information on the marked pages could be of interest in the future. I'd forgottten until I read the blog that I still had the book, markers intact. I'll bring it along with me next time we head to Kingston Sarah.
ReplyDeleteLove Carolyn
I still remember the time we were walking up the back stairs of Mike's apartment (the one with the red wall) and he talked about growing tomatoes and how he wanted to have a veggie garden at some point ... but if memory serves he was going to use pots on the stairs that year? He referenced his Uncle Michael & Aunt Coral's farm. It was the first time I had met a "guy" who thought gardening had a purpose ! Colleen
ReplyDeleteAside from much needed landscaping, we're trying for a variety of cherry tomatoes and lettuce... fingers crossed!! Colleen, if all goes well, I will be looking to you for advice next year:) Last year our squirrels were very successful at enjoying our early attempts of beans and carrots-- as well as many buds and bulbs!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, our grass sucks.