We integrate our sadness into our lives,
woven into our experiences.
We become kinder, softer, stronger,
more durable, more delicate...
It’s like a felted painting I just bought
(a special treat)
an entrancing layered image of two trees.
My mom sees Lucas and Emily.
I see Mike and I,
me in the front filling with lightness and colour
for Lucas and Emily,
Mike behind me offering his love and support
to grow upward, stabilizing the ground with his roots.
In the colour and lightness, I see hope and possibility.
The weave appears so fragile—
like it could blow right off the canvas—
yet it is in fact very very strong,
fixed firmly to the canvas,
intent on staying put and lasting.
I don’t fear sadness.
It’s here to stay.
It will grow old with me.
It will shape me into a better person.
Missing Mike is long term.
Beautifully written Sarah - encapsulating so much.
ReplyDeleteEveryone in Sarnia is sending you big hugs and warmest wishes on your 38th birthday!!!
Love, Colleen, Mike, Olivia & Adam
Happy birthday Sarah - thinking of you today.
ReplyDeletelove Catherine
Thank you Sarah.Your inspiring words have given me greater understanding.
ReplyDeleteLove,Dad