In August 2005, my husband Mike, daughter Olivia and I did a whirlwind tour of Ontario ..... Adam was due that September ... it was our last big trip with Olivia being the only one to occupy our thoughts and hearts.
No trip would have been complete without a Kingston stop. We spent one night on a boat turned hotel in the Kingston marina, and our next night with Sarah and Mike on York Street. Mike teased me once that if Sarah didn't live in Kingston I wouldn't see her as often .... !! Hey, if you visit a friend in Cornwall you are forever, never doubted as a true and true friend :)
I honestly don't remember much about that trip .... preoccupied with changes to come ! - but one thing I do remember made me laugh. In the morning after our sleep over, Mike went out to get a newspaper (without shoes is what I remember?). Sarah said when he left, that he wasn't supposed to be driving due to the medications he was on - but she was not there to make his decisions for him.
When Mike returned, paper in hand, he mentioned casually that there might be / was a small scratch on the side of their black 4 door sedan (toyota? honda?) .... earned while backing out (or in?) of the shared driveway that was squeezed between their home and the neighbours.
Sarah's curiousity was peeked .... she went out .... returned .... and with much control, and a slight head tilt, said that the "scratch" would definitely need to be fixed.
Our curiousity peeked, we too checked out the scratch .... well, as was said in previous posts ..... everyone has their own perceptions and their own memories .... and I would have to say that Mike's perception of the minor scratch was "unique".
Anyway - funny memory of Mike, and one that veers from other stories of Mike and his nature to be particular about things ! It made my Mike and I laugh while remembering ... not sure if it will make Sarah laugh the same way :)
Colleen
Ha - that black car - the "Jetta" now sits in our driveway and that 'small scratch' is still there!!!!! A memory to Mike. It has since gained a few more 'small scratches' but amazingly looks pretty good from a distance (just don't get too close or you'll realize it is gently worn)
ReplyDeleteI am sure Sarah can tell you where a few other 'small scratches' - via Mike came from.
Funny - Eliot just added another 'small scratch' this winter - maybe it is a woman's car!!
Mike was so cautious about driving since receiving his diagnosis... I can count on two hands the number of times he drove... so he was pretty discouraged that he added a 'scratch' to our beloved Jetta. I'm not sure if he was trying to make himself feel better or trying to reduce his embarrassment... but the dent, I mean 'scratch' was hard to miss. Of course, the 'scratch' never was fixed-- becoming less important and less noticeable over time. Cath, I seem to recall you adding a 'scratch' to your vehicle backing out of the same tight spot...!!
ReplyDeleteHonestly - that driveway was a navigational victory for any driver :)
ReplyDeleteNot being able to drive (when you are used to the convenience & freedom a vehicle offers) must have been a huge challenge for Mike. I remember returning from university for a visit home and just relishing that freedom of getting behind the wheel again!
As you said, Mike picked his times cautiously ....the beautiful ritual of running out to get a newspaper (which we all know Mike loved) to enjoy on that beautiful sunny morning was just the right combination/scenario.
May we all garner the insights to recognize when there are these pure and simple moments to savour the things we enjoy most.