When Sarah was first getting the blog started and chose marigolds, rainbows and elephants as things that had a connection with Mike I decided to do a bit of google research about each of these themes to see where that would lead me. As I looked into the many magical, mystical stories about rainbows from the far distant past to the present I discovered that the rainbow imagery is an important one in Buddhism. I came across a number of meditations that were based on the rainbow and found them to be thought provoking and inspirational.
As I was mulling over the idea of sharing one with you on the blog my first thought was of Mike and how a meditation was not something he would really be into. Sarah had shared with me that Mike had come with her to a yoga class but had decided it wasn't his thing. I was thinking that it probably had something to do with the fact that Mike was such a goer that it was difficult for him to slow down the pace for a few minutes. And as I thought about that I decided that the meditation wouldn't be suitable.
But other memories of Mike popped into my head. Memories of a Mike who was able to relax when time permitted.
For example when Mike and Sarah had a chance to visit us in Barrie after a busy week of work, on-calls, studying etc.etc. (pre Lucas and Emily) Mike would more often than not enjoy a long much deserved afternoon snooze on our comfy green corduroy couch.
And then there were the quiet afternoons Mike spent with Lucas. I remember stopping over at their place and Sarah pointing out to the backyard where Mike and Lucas were lying on mats underneath the big maple tree. There were the two of them, both such active guys, just appreciating the moment.
And of course there were the lazy Saturday mornings, the long read of the Globe and Mail, stargazing with Michael and Coral and many other examples of times when Mike was able to kick back and smell the "coffee". I've even heard of tales of Mike enjoying a football game or two from the couch.
So I've decided to pass on this meditation. It actually connects to Mike in a few ways - it focuses on the body (the last word of the meditation is heart), it involves colour, something that the artist in Mike had such a talent for, it is based on the idea of the rainbow and it's written for the child in each of us. So take a moment to slow down and think about Mike and the things that are really important in our lives.
And read on
(This meditation is written for children and can be found at www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/meditate/rainbow.htm or by googling buddhism meditation children rainbow but I thought I'd tap it out here as well )
Feel your body become lighter and lighter. See all the colours of the rainbow. Feel your body become all of the colours of the rainbow.
Slowly you are now giving out red colour. Your whole body becomes red colour. Feel yourself giving out energy and strength. You are now full of energy and strength.
Slowly you are now giving out orange colour. Your whole body becomes orange colour. Feel yourself giving out happiness and joy. You are now full of happiness and joy.
Slowly you are now giving out yellow colour. Your whole body becomes yellow colour. Feel yourself giving out intelligence. You are now full of intelligence.
Slowly you are now giving out green colour. Your whole body becomes green colour. Feel yourself giving out harmony and friendship. You are now full of harmony and friendship.
Slowly you are now giving out blue colour. Your whole body becomes blue colour.
Feel yourself giving out peace. You are now full of peace.
Slowly you are now giving out indigo colour. Your whole body becomes indigo colour.
Feel yourself giving out gentleness. You are now full of gentleness.
Slowly you are now giving out violet colour. Your whole body becomes violet colour.
Feel yourself giving out beauty and self-respect. You are now full of beauty and self-respect.
You are the rainbow. Your colours are going out everywhere. Feel yourself getting bigger and bigger, your colours going out further and further until they cover up this whole room, then further until they cover the whole country and the whole world. As you spread all the colours you are spreading energy, happiness, intelligence, friendship, peace, gentleness and beauty. You spread out even further and become even bigger. Now your colours of light are spreading out in every direction in space. You are as big as the whole universe. Your light shines out in every direction in space. Slowly all the colours change into a stream of white light. This white light is now flowing down the top of your head to your heart. Feel the white light going into your heart.
Much love Carolyn
That meditation is lovely. I'm doing a leadership workshop for our high school's orientation leaders this week and am going to use this meditation as a jumping point to them understanding that they are what they believe themselves to be. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThe meditation was a huge success with our 45 high school students .... it is a beautiful read aloud .... it delivers such a powerful message. Colleen
ReplyDelete