Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Unfairness of Illness

In early March 2010 Mike accompanied me by train from Kingston to Ottawa to buy a car. I had arranged through Natasha , a friend of Sarah's, whose Dad had great dealings with Ottawa Honda to purchase a vehicle there.
I mentioned to Mike that I'd be taking the train to Ottawa and wondered if he'd like to go on a little trip. Give it some thought and let me know I said. Sure enough Mike was up for the trip.
The physical demands of climbing on and off the train were challenges for Mike but while difficult he did not mention, nor did he comment on the long walk through the train station to where we were being picked up.
After the car purchase was finalized we went to Tim Hortons. This was Mike's concession to me.
Sometime along the highway drive home Mike remarked how unfair it is that someone who does not take care of themselves, leading an unhealthy life style, can be free of illness yet another person who does take care, gets ill. I acknowledged the unfairness to Mike and anticipated some more from Mike about the subject but that was it. No more said...ever.
What more can you say?
I spent a fair bit of time with Mike during his last weeks and witnessed his torment. It was unfair. He was first, strong. He guarded his independence and yet was most appreciative of needed help or acts of kindness. Often he would comment on how lucky he was when someone stopped by to visit, when Colleen Reid dropped by with supper or reflecting on Sarah-Lucas-Emily.
Mike was the model for dealing with adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment