
My next trip down memory lane with Mike brings me to the move from Sarah and Mike's City Park apartment to their first own home on York Street.
When there is a household move in our family, I get the call, just like all other Dads. Having a pickup truck adds to the value of my stock at move time.
So it was that Mike and I had loaded up my truck and we were about to set off when Mike asked if we should tie down the items in the back;the mattress in particular. I assured Mike that the mattress was jammmed so tightly between the two dressers that it had nowhere to go.
You can see what's coming.
We got in the truck and as I glanced in the rear view mirror my vision was obstructed by the mattress. No problem , as we had not far to go and side view mirrors were adequate. We proceeded along and made our way onto Princess Street and all was well. A few blocks along I glanced in the rear view mirror and had a clear view back up Princess St. behind us. This was not good.
I stopped the truck quickly and jumped out to take a long look behind us. Sure enough there was the mattress laying in the middle of Princess St with traffic worming its way around it. Mike having also jumped out, joined me in the run back up Princess St to retrieve the mattress.
This event served as a marker in my relationship with Mike as this was to be known as the mattress day . We chatted about how the day would have been unremarkable without the mattress event... it was now a day to remember.
Thereafter, when Mike and I were engaged in some household fix-it job that went awry we would reflect and laugh and call it another 'mattress day'.
Neil
When there is a household move in our family, I get the call, just like all other Dads. Having a pickup truck adds to the value of my stock at move time.
So it was that Mike and I had loaded up my truck and we were about to set off when Mike asked if we should tie down the items in the back;the mattress in particular. I assured Mike that the mattress was jammmed so tightly between the two dressers that it had nowhere to go.
You can see what's coming.
We got in the truck and as I glanced in the rear view mirror my vision was obstructed by the mattress. No problem , as we had not far to go and side view mirrors were adequate. We proceeded along and made our way onto Princess Street and all was well. A few blocks along I glanced in the rear view mirror and had a clear view back up Princess St. behind us. This was not good.
I stopped the truck quickly and jumped out to take a long look behind us. Sure enough there was the mattress laying in the middle of Princess St with traffic worming its way around it. Mike having also jumped out, joined me in the run back up Princess St to retrieve the mattress.
This event served as a marker in my relationship with Mike as this was to be known as the mattress day . We chatted about how the day would have been unremarkable without the mattress event... it was now a day to remember.
Thereafter, when Mike and I were engaged in some household fix-it job that went awry we would reflect and laugh and call it another 'mattress day'.
Neil
Hmm - I recall a number of other "falling off the car" incidents.
ReplyDelete1) Christmas presents ... 401 .... police ... need we say more
2) Canoe ... highway ... you can use your imagination
Moral of the story - lots of rope dad!