We are gathered here, collectively, to remember, to learn, to share, to laugh, to cry, to inspire, and to provide hope through our grief.
Thursday, June 23, 2011
Kookaburra Connections
I came to know Mike through Sarah. I first met Sarah when she settled into the office next door to me in Kingston and joined our team. I couldn’t have wished for a better neighbour. Sarah brought great wisdom and compassion to her work and I have to admit, sometimes I would want to hang out in her office just to catch some of the calm and peace that emanated from her. It wasn’t long before we were friends outside of work too. Before I had even met Mike I remember being impressed by the way Sarah would talk about him, always with love and pride (in her typically very modest and unassuming way J), but also with a dash of curiosity. I knew he must have been an extraordinary fellow. And so it was through Sarah that we gained Mike too. Lucky us.
For a time there, Mike was often the only male amongst our gang of girls during our various adventures. Some of us were donned with Mike’s fantastic superhero-esque nicknames, a personal favourite being “Knightly”. To Mike’s credit, he always swung along, whether it be out for dinner at Golden Viet Thai, a road trip to Ottawa, attending work “Balls” and Christmas parties or riding wagons and getting stuck into the pancakes during Maple Madness. Despite Mike being a pretty cool chap, he never seemed to judge some of the things we did as uncool, even though in reality, they probably were. His participation was even more admirable given how time-poor he was due to his studies and work. And while I am sure he saw it all as just another chance to spend more time with Sarah, I always thought it said a lot about Mike’s character, the way he just mucked in.
There are many memories to share but I thought I’d share one that never fails to make me smile. It starts soon after Mike and Sarah moved into their house on York st. I remember Mike beaming with excitement as he and Sarah toured me about their new home, making special reference to the small shed in the back. He told me about the guy who they had bought the house from. Mike thought this guy was the ant’s pants. Not only had he designed and built the many unique and fabulous fixtures in the home with his own bare hands (as well as, quite possibly, a good chunk of the house itself), he was also a dad and a musician. I believe Mike had even considered buying a particular style of hat just like his, so he could be more like him (I’m kidding... kind of). Being a good father and an appreciation for design and craftsmanship were obviously things that Mike valued. In fact, the last memory I have of Mike is when I was back visiting that York st home in Kingston a few years ago. We spent time with Lucas, drinking coffee and hanging out in that sunlight-filled back room, while Mike half-chatted, half-pottered about in the shed. It is hard to imagine a lovelier, more magical memory.
Sadly I now live a long way from Sarah and the kids (and miss them tons). Being away from the day to day it is sometimes hard to imagine Mike not stumbling along with the rest of us and I often catch myself. I was, however, very fortunate to spend time with Sarah, Emily and Lucas last October. I witnessed, again, what an extraordinary mother Sarah is and how much Emily and Lucas radiate Mike through their own sparkly gorgeousness, whatever they say or do and wherever they go. What remarkable and beautiful children Sarah and Mike (and extended family!) are raising. Thank you for setting up this blog, Sarah. Grief is a part of all of our stories now but this is a wonderful way to share and enrich our memories and stay connected.
Amanda
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment