Friday, June 3, 2011

Soccer night

It's soccer season again and Lucas and Matteo are signed up to hit the fields once more! It's hard to believe this will be their 3rd season (OK, yes, we might have started them quite young!).... This passing of time made me stop and think about our first season which started right about the same time Mike was diagnosed. I remember how sad and shocking that time was as we all digested the news, and yet, there was Mike at soccer practice supporting Lucas despite it all. His bravery was always inspiring, but his love for his kids was even more so.







I distinctly remember looking over at Mike one practice as he sat behind the goal. He was focused on Lucas and he seemed completely engaged in the moment. I remember it because it brought tears to my eyes as I realized he was soaking it all in knowing he may never see another soccer season. Sadly he didn't, but he did see Lucas' debut and Mike's focus on Lucas was probably greater than all of my 3 seasons of watching Matteo. As always, Mike teaches us a valuable lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment