Friday, June 24, 2011

Pancakes

If you make the pancakes small enough, you can eat 23!


Lucas brought pancakes with maple syrup for a snack to school today.  He told me Mr. D. asked him what he was eating.   Fair question --it's not your typical snack.  Lucas reported ripping the pancakes into pieces so that he was able to dip them into the container of maple syrup I sent along.   I can only imagine what this looked like.  Somehow sending cold pancakes with maple syrup for dipping seemed like a normal thing to do this morning.   Yes, this is how much we love pancakes.

I know Dave and his family love pancakes too, as a weekend ritual.   Joan is the pancake guru in the Nault household, whipping up pancakes every Saturday morning with all different types of grains.  Catherine has a recipe she would argue rivals ours (I would suggest, a close second...!)

Pancakes are a strong association for Lucas with his Daddy, and for me too.  I can just picture Mike piling them 3 or 4 high and digging in with gusto.  Whenever we have pancakes, we talk about how many Daddy might eat, how much he liked them, and how much we miss him.  We just submitted our favourite recipe to Lucas and Emily's daycare, since the staff are making a year-end recipe book.

Lucas and Emily’s Favourite Pancakes
(Three cheers for ‘Breakfast for Dinner!’)

1 ½ rolled oats
2 cups milk
½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
¼ melted butter/margarine
optional fruit (mashed banana, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries…)

1.  Soak oats in milk (5 minutes)
2.  Mix dry ingredients.  Add oats/milk to dry.
3.  Add eggs and melted butter.
4.  Add fruit.
5.  Stir… then cook!

Enjoy Mike-style:  Serve topped with yogurt, then fruit, then maple syrup in a big, heaping mess.   Sides include scrambled eggs, orange juice and strong coffee.

Tip:  These pancakes freeze well!
Thanks to Christy for her 'cottage pancakes' recipe from many years ago.

2 comments:

  1. I can think of no time that you have steered me wrong with a recipe Sarah - we will add this to our list of things to try :)

    In recent years, I can remember Mike being more "quantity" aware when it came to portion size .... shocked at what my Mike could put away at dinner! Pancake dinners sound like times that Mike threw caution to the wind :)

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember when I first had Sarah's famous pancakes .. I liked them, but was initially thrown off at the heartiness of them - oatmeal in pancakes!!

    It was always well known in the Donnelly family Mike's love of syrup - real syrup. So the syrup with the hearty pancakes was Sarah/Mike's signature.

    Fast forward a few years and I stumbled on a pancake recipe in Canadian Living. Ironically this not only has oats, but yogurt and bananas - I think I had "out heartied (??)" Sarah!! I coined them "my famous pancakes" - mainly b/c I love them and all others in my house quickly turned their noses at them ... "Ugh not the famous pancakes"

    So heres to Sarah and Mike and their "famous pancakes'

    So sadly - only Lucas Emily and Sarah would actually like my pancakes

    ReplyDelete