Saturday, June 11, 2011

FATHER'S DAY

Queen's University is a wonderful place to me. Like many university campuses, it has a wonderful energy and excitement that is unique to an academic environment. One of my favourite places on campus is Grant Hall, and the football field at its side. Mike and I spent many hours sitting on the football bleachers trying to solve the great challenges of the world and forecasting our futures. Never did we imagine that all of Mike's post graduate achievements, and there are many, would be condensed into so few years. Last year, when I exited the doors at Grant Hall after Mike's memorial service, it reminded me of a special moment at the same place, 12 years prior.

In October 1998 Mike and I celebrated the completion of our Master's degrees at the fall convocation ceremony at Queen's University. The fall ceremonies are always special because they are held in the more intimate setting of Grant Hall. It was a beautiful fall day - sunny and clear. Mike and I weren't too far from each other when we exited the building and I noticed as we came out the doors that Mike's dad handed him an apple. As we stood together for pictures with friends and family, I was making fun of Mike for needing a snack. He laughed and told me with a huge beaming smile about all the times his dad was there to hand him an apple. It seemed like a simple ritual that reflected a very special bond between Mike and his dad.

As I think back to that moment, I am reminded of many other conversations where Mike talked about his dad. They were always stories told with huge smiles, and many laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment