Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer time and Bugs

As yet another summer rolls around I feel the bite once again of the travel bug. I’m currently planning a trip to South America, a place I know little specifics about, but I’m excited to go see. This reminds me of the first trip I took to Europe and planning for that trip.


As I’m sure people know, Andrew loved France – the art, the history, the culture, the wine and food. I got a lot of inspiration to take that trip and great advice leading up to it from Andrew.


One discussion with Andrew in particular stands out. I was talking to Andrew, excitedly telling my big brother about my trip and going over everything I wanted to do. Not only did Andrew offer great destinations in France and sights to see and do while in Paris, but he also mentioned one thing that would prove to be one of the highlights of my trip. Although traveling separately, my friend and I planned to meet up in Paris a couple of days before we were to return from our respective European tours. Looking on a map of Paris over a month before we were set to depart each one going on separate trips, we decided that we’d meet up in a little square called Place de la Concorde and the end of the Champs Elysees. While telling Andrew about my plans, he had a little chuckle and I’m sure a smirk crept across his face as often does when he knows something. Andrew informed me that this was perhaps the most touristy square in Paris, that hundreds of thousands of people pass through that square daily and to expect to be able to spot a friend in the crowd was like a needle in a hay stack. I immediately called my friend back and we amended our plans to be a little more specific. We set to meet on the North West corner of the bridge coming into the square. After that second phone call, me and my buddy didn’t get the chance to talk for the next month (or more) while we traveled. Sure enough on the day we said, within half an hour of the time we picked on the corner of the bridge where my brother suggested we met up, we met up. It’s quite a thing and a great story, to meet up with a good friend in a distant city after being away so long.


In all the wonders I saw on that trip, I’ll never forget that story and that it wouldn’t have happened had Andrew not offered the advice of a big brother. This is just one instance of the travel advice I got from Andrew, I wish I had the time and space to tell them all, but will leave it at that for now.


I certainly miss having the advice of a big brother, with Andrew’s own personal brand of advice, to help guide to some of the most memorable experiences of my life. Whether it be remembering times of goofing off at home as kids or half way around the world, Andrew is an integral part of my memories and will always be in my thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. I just watched 'Midnight in Paris', and I couldn't help but think of Mike, who would have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew,

    The world is not the same without your big brother in it.

    Yorgo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The February 2011 National Geographic crossed my path at the dentist yesterday .... a picture of the Eiffel Tower and a subtitle about football concussions and the impact on the brain ... a magazine that would have caught Mike's eye for several reasons. I was always amazed at how well read Mike was ... where did he find the time?

    ReplyDelete