Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Pass


I am travelling across Canada today from St. Johns Newfoundland to Kelowna, so I won’t continue my last blog and instead share a short lighthearted anecdote. I was having a beer with Damon Dagnone yesterday and the topic of both Mike and football came up. I also figured the story tied into recent blogs of Mike’s athletic ability.

During medical school, our class was challenged by the year below to a series of contests of supremacy to determine which class was superior. One of those contests was a touch football game. Now at the time, this all seemed like a big deal, and we needed to win. There were a few athletes on the team, including Mike, but we were outgunned from a personnel standpoint. Our saving grace was Mike. His skill and calm leadership as quarterback made up for the team shortcomings. On the final play of the game, and down by six points, Mike looked at me with the usual wry smile and twinkle in his eye. ‘Petes, when we snap the ball, run as hard as you can straight down the field.’ I chuckled, and said ‘Sure Naulty’.

So, on cue, off I went streaking past the other team. Nearing the end zone, I looked back in full stride as Mike laid in a perfect 65 yard pass over my shoulder. The pass was worthy of a TSN highlight reel. Jubilation ensued, followed by victory beers at the grad club, and a humble smiling Mike in the corner. Content to have simply had a great afternoon with the guys, he took no credit for single-handedly winning the game.

1 comment:

  1. This post makes me teary - there is something about sporting stories that evokes strong emotions in me :) The movie Remember the Titans is one that I could watch over and over and cry and feel gut wrench with every time. Would Mike have enjoyed that movie - I would guess yes .... but a runner up I'm sure to Star Wars or Braveheart :)

    ReplyDelete