We are gathered here, collectively, to remember, to learn, to share, to laugh, to cry, to inspire, and to provide hope through our grief.
Friday, November 18, 2011
Memory
Mike had an amazing memory. This isn't something I've touched on explicitly, but I've thought of it often. For example, Mike could remember information so detailed from
BIO 200, that it scared me. How could he possibly remember specifics about labs and lectures well over 10 years ago?
His incredible memory served him well, both while working clinically and while teaching. He could quiz medical students on anatomy and their 'approach' to loads of stuff ('approach' being how to tackle a problem, walking systematically through the differential diagnoses). As Tom mentioned, he had an 'approach' to his learning-- his teaching-- and how he organized his mind.
Mike's attention to detail, coupled with his memory, gave his a real knack for art, including fashion and decorating. In Europe, he would rhyme off details he had learned in his Art History classes, about famous pieces, collections, architecture and individual artists. How about the three different names of ancient greek columns, the names of poses...? When decorating our house, he would ask me if I liked the paint colour on the door of the limestone house on Earl Street just up from King St.-- and did I like the wrought iron fence on the house across the street? Which house? What colour? No, I hadn't noticed the fence.
Another example of Mike's memory was his ability to recite Lucas' books word-for-word. The top favourite was The Lorax by Dr. Seuss. Here is a short glimpse into what it entails to recite this very long book. It starts off:
'At the far end of town
where the Grickle -grass grows
and the wind smells slow-and-sour when it blows
and no bird ever sing excepting old crows....
is the Street of the Lifted Lorax....'
With hilarious concepts such as 'gruvulous glove' and 'Whisper-ma-phone', this book is no easy read, let alone to memorize word-for-word (did I mention that already?). There are no page numbers in our copy so I counted the pages to be a total of 41 pages with text at least as long as the first page, quoted above. Knowing this favourite book by heart came in handy many many times as Mike's ultimate put-Lucas-to-sleep-in-the-car-when-it's-too-dark-to read-and-we-forgot-the-book-anyway kind of situation. Mike would just lean in towards Lucas and start whispering this story into his ear in the back seat-- game over for Lucas.
When Mike had difficulty with his memory, he used his ability to 'approach' a problem and dealt with it-- using his iPhone to make lists and later, voice memos. He functioned at such a high level for so long, I think, because he had an exceptional mind. And even with difficulties with his memory and severe word-finding, he was able to communicate with me, so creatively, he amazed me.
My memory isn't nearly as good as Mike's, which is one of the reasons I am so dedicated to this blog. I need to record all of my thoughts, when they come, so that I can remember.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I’m amazed that Andrew and I had such different brains/mental strengths. I’m sure I would have been able to remember nothing past the first line of the book (if that). I’m finding out more and more about Andrew from this blog, as well as remembering things stored deep in my memory. All of which continue to inspire. Thanks for sharing that entry as well as the great photo.
ReplyDelete