Sunday, November 20, 2011

Saying Goodbye

I have been travelling back and forth regularly over the past few months to Windsor to help care for my parents as their health declines. Difficult as the situation is this is the natural order of things - children caring for aging parents.. I sit with my Dad in his hospital room and reminisce about happy moments of his past. He talks about how frustrated and low he's feeling when he contemplates what the future holds for him. He is thankful for 88 years and is so proud of his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. He marvels at his successes in life. As I spend time with my Mom, alone and rapidly growing more feeble, I try to convey to her how much I appreciate her devotion to family and home. This is my time to say goodbye.
I think about Mike during his last months, weeks, days. Our time to say goodbye and yet how difficult that was to contemplate. Friends and family surrounded Mike with love and Sarah was his constant source of support and devotion. There were many visits from friends living both close-by and far away. There were wonderful special events planned - a football game (in Boston ? ) with Brad and Dave, front row seats for him and Lucas at the Raptor's season opener. And the ongoing everyday expressions of love - Joan and Dennis' nurturing presence each week, , Aunts and Uncles stopping in to spend precious moments with Mike, constant contact with Alison and Mathew, get-togethers with the Frymires, dinners brought to the house by thoughtful neighbours. Neil and I were in Kingston often to help in any way we could. Even though, regrettably, I didn't communicate to Mike in words all that I was feeling - how much I loved and respected him, that I am so grateful for the gifts of Lucas and Emily, how wonderful it was to watch the love between him and Sarah - I hope that he understood all of that.
As I visit my parents I think about my opportunity to say goodbye and am grateful.
Much love, Carolyn

1 comment:

  1. It is hard to read about your mom & dad Carolyn - their cottage links them to some fun/active memories in my mind :) Saying goodbye is a treasurable gift. Colleen

    ReplyDelete