Our prized poppies on York St.
November is one of those months that doesn't seem to have an identity. Hallowe'en and Thanksgiving have passed and so too, has the novelty of crisp weather and beautiful fall leaves (now mostly on the ground). The true cold is on its way-- there's no avoiding it.
And then I realized November is our month of Remembrance. This ties into Matthew's recent comments. It's our month to remember and give thanks to those who died in war, on behalf of our country, in defence of the freedom and peace we know in Canada. I will think of all of this, with more intent and clarity this year. Because, most certainly, on Remembrance Day I will be thinking of Mike and friends who are remembering their own losses. In living with Mike's death, I have a deeper sense and understanding of Remembrance.
I remember our gorgeous poppies from our garden on York St. They were so temptingly beautiful, they would often be nabbed by passersby. Sadly, as soon as they were picked, their delicate petals would curl and the thin stem flop. They were meant to stay put, on the plant, to sustain their majestic show. Their delicate beauty and glowing red make them a perfect symbol of remembrance in my mind, kindly choosing to grown in fields row by row. With grief, comes fragility and strength; pain and wisdom.
No comments:
Post a Comment