Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A little note...




Despite my not knowing Mike as well or as long as many others in his life, I always remember him making me feel as if I belonged in his circle of friends & in some way as though we'd known each other for years.  I remember having breakfast with you, Mike, his family (and of course a very young Lucas) at his parent's home in Etobicoke the winter after we returned from Australia (and as well remember seeing he and you-quite pregnant at the time, at the hospital in Toronto the evening after his first surgery before we left for that year away).  On both occasions I was struck by his ability to make everyone feel comfortable & while not minimizing or downplaying all that he (and you) were going through, he was somehow able to keep everyones focus positive.

Another memory I have of Mike was a few year later while he was doing his Cardiology residency & came to London for an elective.  He came over for dinner one night & he and Grant spent most of the evening laughing and remembering their time together in Kingston.  We also had a really good talk about what he was dealing with with his illness and how he managed to continue to live in the moment & take each day as it came.  What I remember most though, was that in the midst of everything that evening, Mike stopped the conversation and told us he had to call home.  It was Lucas' bedtime and Mike told us that every night, no matter where he was, he called home to tell Lucas a bedtime story.  I was so touched by that and I don't think it was even until years later that I have really come to appreciate how important that was and also, sadly (& guiltily - if that is even a word!), how hard it is to do.  I have been away from our girls for short periods of time on many occasions and more often than not, despite the best of intentions, realize too late that i've missed the opportunity to talk to them before they go to sleep.  

On that same note, 'Uncle Elephant' is still a bedtime favourite in our house.  Mike's photo is tucked into the front cover & whenever they see it the girls talk about 'Mike, Sarah, Lucas and Emily'!  

From Melanie B.  


No comments:

Post a Comment