... community, reflection, appreciation, gratitude, generosity of spirit.


The 17th of each month has become a reflective day this past year. In the continual state of being 'busy' I find it difficult to pause and reflect on life, despite intellectually understanding how critical this is. On this 17th day of December it is impossible not to pause and consider the holiday season.
My daughter Clare is wise beyond her years and she continually challenges my own thinking. She has been adamant that she wants nothing for Christmas this year. I find this very interesting and quite remarkable. I must sheepishly admit that I like getting presents at Christmas and always loved the unwrapping frenzy (ok ... its out there now). I know that Mike was slightly (completely?) horrified at the Donnelly Christmas' - paper flying, presents everywhere! Eliot and Mike were definitely in agreement on this and both were Christmas minimalists. In large part this was a result of their own more minimal approaches to Christmas growing up.
The Grinch, in his moment of insight, said so simply what Clare knows and Mike knew ... "Maybe Christmas," "doesn't come from a store. "Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!" With marketing in high gear it is extremely easy to forget the deep meaning of the holiday season: community, reflection, appreciation, gratitude, generosity of spirit.
... wishing everyone happiness this holiday season.
Catherine
Olivia & Adam would like to know if that is your puppy?
ReplyDelete