Pictured above: Lucas and Mike livin' in up!
Lucas was really into monsters this Hallowe-en, sub-classifying into Zombie, Mummy, Alien, Robot-monster-- the list goes on. He's also been really into drawing monsters, with crazy spikes and usually lots and lots of eyeballs! They don't look particularly mean-- usually kind of silly with lots of crazy colours-- maybe a cross between a dragon and an alien or robot (Lisa mentioned this yesterday and witnessed Lucas in action on Saturday!). So as I write this, I have Lucas in mind.
I was listening to a discussion on CBC radio about Zombies a few weeks ago. The discussion centred on the idea that Zombies seem to be popping up everywhere. There were 'Zombie-games' at universities this fall (kind of like tag), Zombie movies, and Zombie TV shows. 'Experts' were interviewed-- first off there was a full-time Zombie-portrait artist (you can pay to be 'zombied'), and then some questions posed to several academics, who study Zombies. Another academic (historian) called into the show to provide historic reference to the notion of Zombies. According to his input, cholera victims often appeared in a Zombie-like state (walking dead). All of this seemed a bit disturbing, particularly because I have no interest in Zombie stuff.
What caught my attention was when the one academic started discussing the social relevance of Zombies. She likened Zombies to the general population-- disillusioned, tired, void of spirit, interest, life, passion... walking life-less through life. She suggested we, this general collective, are all shuffling along, trying to get by, trying to block out all of the overwhelming matters of the world. Yep, there do seem to be a lot of things to worry about these days-- the environment, the economy... And that is why, she argued, there currently exists such a generalized identification with Zombies-- why these images resonate with the masses.
That's when I sat up a bit straighter in my chair. Because I've learned from Mike, that life is NOT about shuffling along. Life is to be cherished and celebrated. Despite hacking coughs, runny noses, long nights, longer days, socks that don't want to be worn, soggy cereal, squished bananas, crumbs all over the car, lost hats, missed appointments... I'm not about to shuffle! Mike has taught me about hope, smiles, silliness, following your passion, and laughter -- all too good to waste. Zombies may be okay for 5-year old at Hallowe'en but that's more than enough for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment