Saturday, April 9, 2011

Do I hear Wedding Bells faintly ringing ?


April 3,1999 Sarah and Mike

Catherine and Eliot Wedding Day Photos



My chronological memories of Mike, take me next to Catherine and Eliot's wedding in Vancouver April 1999.


Mike was in his glory in Vancouver, particularly Grenville Island where the wedding guests. stayed. He revelled in the various coffee counters and eclectic food stalls in the Grenville Marketplace and toured with Sarah all the artistsan shops around the Island.


Coffee, Art and Sarah- Ah Mike was in heaven!


On the big day, it was glorious sunny April 3,1999. Following Catherine and Eliot's beautiful wedding ceremony at University Hill United Church we all gathered at the Abertheau Cultural Centre, near Jericho Beach for the reception. It was a serene setting that day.


The MC for the evening was Eliot's good friend Calvin. Calvin as I've come to know him is a very affable and genuine fellow. One of his first assignments as MC was to introduce the head table . Not personally knowing some of the wedding party at the head table Calvin needed to get some background information about them.

I confess that some of what comes next is a bit of speculation but most,not. Calvin took the dangerous step of asking Eliot for that information. Shenanigans are not unknown to the Frymires,certainly not Eliot....and to ask them for help to introduce people is ...inviting the unpredictable.


Calvin proceeded to introduce the head table. When he came to Sarah, he said, as you might expect, "May I introduce the Maid of Honour Sarah Donnelly - sister of the bride".


Then came Mike. Now at this stage in their relationship Sarah and Mike were simply in dating mode.

Calvin introduced Mike as "Michael Nault reportedly Sarah's future husband."

Sarah and Mike's heads quickly snapped to the side to look directly into each other's eyes as if to say, ' Who told him that... did you?


A prescient moment indeed.


Neil


1 comment:

  1. Eliot and I just knew .. but as I recall it didn't go off quite so smoothly at the time :)

    ReplyDelete