Thursday, April 7, 2011

Walking Home with Mike

In the months leading up to Mike’s death, I increased the frequency of my visits to Kingston. To keep me company on the drive, I often listened to Coldplay – a band that Mike (and I) really enjoyed. Over the many car rides I developed a strong association between listening to Coldplay and visiting Mike.


With the recent change in seasons and the accompanying warmer weather and longer days, I’ve started walking home from the subway after work (a 20 minute walk to Owen’s school). And each time, I listen to Coldplay as I walk. Although memories of Mike pop into my thoughts many times throughout the day (everyday), my walks have become my dedicated time to connect with Mike. Some days I walk with a big grin thinking about the silly thing we (mostly he) did. Other days I walk with a heavy chest and tears in my eyes. And some days I just walk not really knowing how I feel. But everyday, by the end of my walk, I feel inspired. I draw strength from Mike’s courage and determination.


I’ve attached one of my favority Coldplay songs, Life in Technicolor. It's the first song on Prospekts March and it would often start with me on my drive to Kingston. I find this song inspiring; it gives me hope that I will someday find peace and healing.



1 comment:

  1. I also listen to Coldplay often and associate this with Mike ... Sarah described how Mike was playing "Green Eyes" when he proposed. That is a hauntingly beautiful song.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete