Raise your hand if you've ever been called a 'Doodler' by Mike (or, ever heard him refer to someone else as a doodler, as in "that guy, he's such a doodler".) To this day, I am not entirely sure what a doodler is. But I know that being called one directly was definitely a term of endearment (I can recall many conversations with Mike that started with either 'hey Rockhead' or 'hey Doodler').
When I think back on the years of friendship with Mike, and friends that I made with him and through him, it's pretty hard to think of any single one of us who didn't at one point or another (and usually, pretty early on and for yeeeeaaarrrrs afterwards) get nicknamed by Mike. Whether with the generic 'Doodler', or more specific monikers like Turfshoe, Schmegma, Agent D, Kegger, Kitch Marsh or the everlasting Goon, few friends of Mike ever went by their actual name when in his presence.
For almost four years at Queen's, I am pretty sure that most people I knew actually thought that my name was 'Meegagggghhhhhhnnnnnnnn!!!' (Mike's self-styled way of saying my name), which had to be pronounced at high volume, in a falsely deep voice - with an enormously drawn out, guttural gargling-mouthwash-style emphasis on the gggggghhhhhhhh (by the way, there is no actual h in my name). It got to the point where I started referring to myself that way, as in "Hi Dennis, hi Joan, it's Meeeegggaaaaggggghnn calling". Now, about 20 years later, I still do it, I am still that nicknamed version of me, whenever I think of Mike, or whenever I talk to those who I know and love through him.
Mike named each one of us in his own, completely unique way, and in doing so, gave us secret code language to communicate with each other. It's like being in a club where silliness is the main criteria, followed closely by unflagging friendship. So if you ever see me, or I see you, walking down the street, and you call out "Hey, Doodler!" I'll know I'm walking amongst good, silly friends. Thanks, Mike - ya big doodler.
'Doodlers' came from a Friends episode (remember Thursday nights?!?!). I think it was Joey that walked into Monica and Rachel's apartment and said: 'Doodlers'. Mike obviously made good use f that one ever since!
ReplyDelete