Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fool's Day



April.  We are now starting into month three of this collective effort.   I am proud of the pages we have gathered.  I know I have so much more to learn.

These last few days have been a struggle for me emotionally.  And so, I look to Mike for some April Fool’s Day humour to get me though.  However, Mike’s jokes weren’t so much about trickery (unlike my dear friend Amanda’s knack for pranks).  Mike’s humour was usually general silliness.  A classic Mike was to tickle someone right before a photo was taken (case in point- see photo above).   However, Mike might also intentionally 'bug' friends and family members-- which was often just an extension of his silliness.  I know Dave (Goon) and Brad were on the receiving end throughout undergrad and Darren most certainly endured this throughout med school.  With his brother Matthew, Mike had perfected the art of ‘the bug’ well into adulthood as only an older sibling can.  His best material was seemingly innocent yet insidious and highly annoying.

Lucas is well on his way to learning the nuances of ‘the bug’ through Emily’s reactions.  For example, we were all in bed reading a book and Lucas moved his hand under Emily’s back.  ‘Stop Lucas!’ she yelled.  ‘Mom, I’m not doing anything.  My hand is just under her', replied Lucas innocently.   I could just picture Mike doing this, with a silly grin -- maybe even ‘biting his cheeks’ to suppress squealing laughter.  Another recent incident involved a distant scream of protest from Emily, followed by Lucas pleading, ‘I just want to balance it on your head’!   I laughed out loud.  Again, I could picture Mike grinning, knowing perfectly well he had succeeded in achieving a ‘high bug’ factor.  Good thing for Emily, she’s no pushover.  I know she will go head-to-head with Lucas in the realm of sibling teasing.  I also know we often tease those we love, seeking attention from that special person.  I am very thankful Lucas and Emily have real soft spots for each other, just as Mike did for all the recipients of his ‘bugs’.   This is especially true of his long-time and well-honed 'bugging' of his sister Alison and brother Matthew.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah it is so nice to hear Mike's laugh as I read your entry today. Colleen

    ReplyDelete