Saturday, April 9, 2011

Snappy Dresser

Hi guys,

My apologies for this being late. I thought it 'posted' but realized this morning when I checked it did not. Blame it on my recent concussion I guess. Nonetheless, my apologies.


When I first met Mike in undergraduate medicine. We were cut from the same cloth; literally. Undergraduate degrees in Phys. Ed/Kinesiology, athletes, great sense of humour. The standard garb also persisted; jeans and sweatshirt to class, sometimes even jogging or 'warm up pants'. It made me feel right at home. This uniform of sorts persisted for most of medical school until around the start of residency. I initially matched to orthopedics, so lived in surgical scrubs over 100 hours per week (i.e. pyjamas; definitely considered a downgrade in fashion). Then continued that trend when I changed careers to emergency medicine. Mike matched to internal medicine and went the opposite direction. From blue jeans to tailored shirts and dress pants. Over the top with ties, overcoats, even polished shoes. Even the glasses upgraded to trendy Dolce and Gabana style. He looked fantastic and suddenly GQ was calling for a cover shoot.

When I asked him about this transformation, Mike simply said 'Petes, I guess it is time I became a professional'. I suppose looking the part is part of the deal. Patient interpretation of professionalism and competence actually correlates with perceived notions of ability. This has since been proven by research, and it goes to show Mike, as usual, was ahead of his time. While Mike was setting the bar in fashion at KGH he was also doing the same with regard to his academic performance. In my co-resident opinion, and according to my colleagues, Mike was one of the star residents in the internal medicine program.

When I asked Mike about how he could afford new duds on a resident salary; he shared with me a men's fashion tip I will share with you. He had his older square north american box-style shirts tailored for peanuts. Snappy and frugal!

Well, I continue to learn from Mike even now. I have stepped up my professional wardrobe for teaching and administration, but still wear pajamas at work in the ER. I am working on it Mike... thinking of you.

Love to everyone.

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment