Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Halls of KGH





I felt Mike's spirit with me yesterday in the halls of KGH - Kingston General Hospital. Neil and I were there taking Lucas to his dentist's appointment and as I entered the foyer and walked the halls I thought about Dr. Nault walking these same halls - this place where Mike spent so many hours - Mike's home away from home. I looked at the people bustling by, the signs on the walls and wondered how many hundreds of times Mike had passed this same place. Mike as a clerk, internal medicine resident, cardiology resident and electrophysiology fellow. I can picture him at times in scrubs, at times in his dapper doctor attire, stethoscope around his neck - always the consummate professional.
Being there today put me in mind of all that Mike accomplished and his courage in living his life full steam ahead. Even though Mike knew that he would face difficulties in the future he made brave, hopeful decisions that allowed him to attain many of his goals.

Lucas goes to the same dentist in the hospital that Mike went to - a good friend of Mike's and a lovely man, Dr. Chan. Mike would have so relished seeing Lucas sitting patiently in the big chair having his teeth polished and flossed, having fluoride applied and then being told that his teeth were perfect. What a wonderful moment that would have been.
We miss you so much Mike,


Much love, Carolyn

2 comments:

  1. KGH was such a part of Mike's life, it really was an extension of him-- and he grew from a kid to an adult in that building, in a lot of ways. He gained a deep understanding of life and death through his patient care. Lucas recently asked to drive past KGH. We drove down into the drop-off area at the front entrance. I haven't cried that hard in a while. It was such a routine event -- and Mike should have been there for us to pick-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading about the simple, everyday moments that Mike will miss with all of you is so sorrowful - painful. When I was 5 years old, my 16 year old uncle passed away - the horrible part for me was / is that we could never talk about him again, ask question about him, continue to know him. Lucas and Emily are surrounded by their dad's stories, history and love and my hope is that there is some small healing in that for them.

    ReplyDelete