As I was reading some of the other blog posts, one of Catherine’s recent blogs caught my eye; her first meeting with Mike. It made me think of the first impression Mike made on me. I remember my friend, Andrew Tam (aka Tam),
mentioning that he knew a guy that was dating my sister because he sort of set them up. If I remember correctly, they met at a Halloween party. Apparently, Mike had asked Tam who Sarah was and an introduction followed. And then, as they say, the rest is history.
Anyway, as Tam was describing this ‘new guy’ to me, he told me that I probably have seen him around the P.E.C. (phys-ed centre at Queens) because we both spent a lot of time there. He described what Mike looked like, but I couldn’t figure it out. A muscular, ex-football player that lifted weights and sometimes played basketball? Really? A football jock? This wasn’t someone I pictured Sarah connecting with. When I ended up meeting Mike at the P.E.C., he was immediately familiar to me. He was a little older than me and looked like a football player, stocky and muscular. He was a regular at the gym who knew a lot of people. Chatting, smiling and joking around. It still seemed a little at odds with Sarah's personality as I figured he might be a bit of a partying football guy.
Its funny thinking back to that first impression because that's not how I think of Mike at all now. While, he has always been a gym rat at heart (and our mutual love for basketball and the raptors was how we first connected), there are obviously so many more sides of him that I loved.
When I see Tam tonight at my basketball game I'm going to mention that first meeting you two had. Invariably, Tam will boast that he set you two up because he has mentioned it on numerous occasions. And then, I'll thank him from all of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment