We are gathered here, collectively, to remember, to learn, to share, to laugh, to cry, to inspire, and to provide hope through our grief.
Sunday, January 29, 2012
Another Tribute
I included Brian's words in a previous post, which were originally spoken on June 17th, 2010, as he lead us through a celebration of Mike's life. Yorgo spoke too, as you would remember clearly if you were able to attend. I can vividly remember Yorgo talking, and all of the others too. I can hear their voices as if it were yesterday. It's amazing how our brains can imprint certain memories so clearly-- almost as though we can will ourselves to remember in more detail, if we try really hard. Here is what Yorgo had to say:
June 17, 2010
Grant Hall, Queen's University
"When I met Mike in 2002, we were both embarking on new career experiences: I had just finished my seemingly endless training, and had come on staff at Queen's in Cardiology, and Mike had just started his residency training in anesthesia.
We had probably met in the hospital because anesthesia residents do some cardiology rotations, but I really didn't know him that well when he approached me one day in the cafeteria, now a few months into my new position, and said, "Hey- I want your job".
And that's how it was with Mike: no a lot of baloney. I must admit that after a moment of fear, and then flattery, what struck me was that a residency in anesthesia was not the right thing to be doing if one wanted to be a cardiologist. And so our friendship be gan with an open, blunt, and honest admission, and this lead to a series of heart to heart discussions between us.
My particular specialty within cardiology is in electrical heart rhythm disorders, and this is what Mike was drawn to. He was torn between the practicality of doing anesthesia- which lead to a nice practice with clear responsibilities during fixed hours after 5 years of residency- which is very attractive after having taken the long way into medicine by first doing a M.Sc., and what his real love: figuring out what a bunch of squiggly lines on a pink piece of paper are really telling us about what's going on in a person's heart. These electrical tracings are called EKGs, and interpreting them is a real craft. It takes years of experience, a nerdy dedication to detail, and a healthy helping of common sense. I think this is also the recipe for making a good doctor, and Mike knew that.
So while anesthesia made practical sense, Mike eventually chose to follow his heart down a much longer path of first doing an internal medicine residency, and then doing a cardiology residency, and then doing a fellowship in electrophysiology: three training programs instead of just one. It was in Mike's character to make the right decision, even if it wasn't easy.
Mike had style, whether he was wearing blue jeans and a black t-shirt, or dress slacks and a shirt 'n tie with his leather briefcase strap slung across his chest. He immediately disarmed any potential intimidation with a big smile and his down to earth demeanour. He made funny pop-culture references all the time.
On one busy day looking after patients at KGH when we were really pressed for time and needing to be efficient, as we set off into a patient's room, he said "We're going in and we're join in full throttle... that oughta keep those fighters off our back". Star Wars fans will recognize that quote, and all the guys on the team started laughing, while the nurses just stared at us. And that's how I was introduced to Mike's tradition of reciting lines from Star Wars whenever possible. I still use that line...
Mike stayed late to make sure nothing was missed with his patients, and he arrived early to get teaching rounds underway. He wanted to share his epiphanies, with others, and this is part of what made him such a great teacher: he really loved what he did, and he wanted others to love it too. He had a deep respect for the history of medicine and the bright minds who had brought us where we are today. Medicine was never just a job for him.
I had to leave Kingston in 2005, but I always looked forward to seeing Mike at meetings. We'd skip whole conference days...
After the ton of bricks that was the news of Mike's death fell upon me, after the weight of that incredible grief had passed through me and I had a chance to really reflect upon who he was and the times we shared together, some other Star Wars quotes came to my mind, and how I wished that they were meaningful in the universe that we live in, this place that is right now, this galaxy that is not so far away. "Mike" I want to say in Obi Wan Kenobi's haunting voice, "Remember, the Force will be with you, always...". How I wanted saying that to somehow really mean something. How I wanted his glowing spirit to appear and sit down with me over a nice meal and some interesting EKGs. But the Force is a piece of someone's imagination, and I can't talk to Mike anymore. I wanted to be able to say, "You can't win cancer...If you strike Mike down, he will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine". But we aren't living in a movie from 1977, and as far as I can tell, the universe is totally indifferent to our existence, and our happiness or suffering, and that means that it's totally up to us to make it all meaningful. So maybe, if it's up to us, we can make that last quote meaningful, even if it is from a fantasy movie.
Maybe, by making the right decision even when it is the hard one
Maybe, by following what we really love with passion, integrity, and open minds
Maybe, by being patient and clear-thinking teachers who greet their students with a warm smile
Maybe, by loving our families with all our hearts, and always being good to our friends
Maybe, by showing courage in the face of unspeakable adversity
Maybe, by learning the lessons Mike taught us, by looking out for Sarah and Lucas and Emily, by trying to emulate Mike's style and wonderful qualities in our own lives...
Maybe we can make that Star Wars line meaningful, even in this galaxy."
(Included here with Yorgo's permission- Thank you).
When I read Yorgo's list of 'maybe...' I think about all of the stories we have shared over this past year. There have been many stories and anecdotes that reflect this list of 'maybe...'.
Megan has already summarized her tribute in an earlier post. And there were also tributes-- from Dave, Brad, John, and Chris. I can still hear all of your voices- measured, playful, sad, strong. Mike's grandpa (G/pa) used to talk about the need to 'beat your drum' in life. All of these tributes did just that-- they beat Mike's drum for him. And we've kept it going.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment