The last month - hard to believe. I was one of the late, and nervous subscribers. Mike has a special place in my heart but I wasn't sure it was fair to include my grief with others who knew him on so many different and deeper levels, and I was worried it would be painful. Today, I feel so thankful to Sarah for the invitation because sharing the blog has been a wonderful thing for me - it helped me see and appreciate so many sides to Mike that I hadn't known directly. It also helped me better understand and appreciate the Mike I did know.
I knew Mike best as a student because that is where we met and where we started our friendship. After Mike's memorial service a group of university friends gathered outside Grant Hall and reminisced about our university days with Mike. There was a common thread to the discussion - we were all very delighted to hear about the dedicated and successful medical professional Mike had become. We all knew Mike had it in him but mostly we just remembered Mike as a big goof and a bad (but enthusiastic) dancer. We remembered him talking about studying but none of us actually remembered him studying. He seemed to work hard but he also appeared to have a good balance of activities with friends or family in his life.
As teachers assistants Mike would often remark at how good my teaching notes were compared to his, or how much harder I seemed to work in preparation for upcoming classes. He almost seemed to express guilt that he wasn't working as hard. At the time, his compliments made me feel very proud of the my efforts. Now, looking back with a better understanding his memory and intellect, I realize that Mike was really just being kind to not point out that I was just dumber than him. I can see that he was a goof but he was also really brilliant.
It sounds funny but it makes me smile. It makes me appreciate that one of Mike's greatest skills was that personal connection he made with everyone around him. He made friends feel important and wonderful. He found a way to overlook weaknesses and compliment strengths. He also downplayed his own strengths in a humble way. It was an amazing skill.
Mike you were a special guy. I miss you dearly.
Sarah - you are an amazing women. I have so much admiration for you and thank you for including me in the sharing of memories.
J.
No comments:
Post a Comment