Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Grey hair...a new perspective


As time goes by, it seems that I am less and less convincing in my argument that I have ‘super-blonde’ hair on my chin, and now my chest, and perhaps even a couple on my head.  While so many folks my age would start to dread and make attempts to hide some grey hair, I have become very peaceful with this transition.  What is the downside of grey hair?  What does it show about you?  My only conclusion is that grey hair is a reminder of how lucky I am.  Mike was certainly gathering some grey on his head and I’m sure he would have loved to get the chance to grow a full crop of grey hairs....  Mike will not get the chance to grow old like we will (if we are so lucky) and it would be a shame to be upset about something that Mike would have given the world to experience.  I don’t know why this keeps coming into my mind but it is with every new grey hair that I think of Mike, and of how much I miss him, and of how I should treasure the time that I have with my family.
As Christmas has recently come and gone and I read the other posts about Mike’s enjoyment of these holidays, I feel sad for everyone that will miss out on his spirit.  A holiday so full of magic and fun seems perfectly suited to Mike and his young family.  Luckily, it would seem that he has left behind a wealth of traditions and memories that Lucas and Emily will absorb and make into their own.  I have enjoyed reading about them.
Mike was a great friend.  He taught me many things in the years that I knew him and it seems that he is teaching me new things even after he is gone.  I feel honoured to be part of his life and to be part of this community of people who were close to him.  So as the grey hairs come in greater numbers, I will think of Mike and remember our friendship and I will cherish the opportunities that I have been given.  Thanks to Mike.
Darren

No comments:

Post a Comment