Sunday, February 20, 2011

Connections

When I took this picture of my son-in-law Mike and granddaughter Emily laughing at each other in the mirror, Mike had either just finished singing Rainbow Connection or was just about to burst into song (the way he would so often do). With Lucas it was the Superman theme but with Emily it was Rainbow Connection. A beautiful song with its haunting words and melody, Mike sang it with such tenderness to little Emily. And in Mike tradition it might even be sung Kermit style. Mike would often laugh at me for my ablility (not talent) to sing along with him at the least provocation - and he knew how to get me going. All he had to do was to hum a few bars of anything and I was hooked in. Mike and Sarah came to Barrie to see me in my first community theatre show, Fiddler on the Roof, a number of years ago. With my limited singing skill I enjoyed the anonymity of the chorus. The song Traditions from the show (probably not known by many) was one that Mike enjoyed teasing me about - he would start singing loudly and dramatically and know that he could always get me to join in with my wavering voice. And as predictably I did so Mike would give me a look that let me know (in case I hadn't already twigged to it) that he had gotten me again. When I listen to Rainbow Connection now I share Alison's feelings that a song can bring tears and inspiration. That song connects me to my memories of Mike and I love that Sarah has used this song to connect us together as we celebrate, with our shared memories, Mike's life and the joy he brought to our world. As I finish off the blog I have this image of Mike enthusiastically singing in Traditions style "Connec -tions" and me, not knowing where he's going with this song, joining in anyway and watching for that twinkle in his eye.
Much love, Carolyn

And now Kermit..........



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSFLZ-MzIhM



1 comment:

  1. What my mom didn't mention is that Mike would do the exact same thing when my mom would start singing. Just a few bars in to just about any song and Mike would be in full swing with my mom. He couldn't help himself either...

    ReplyDelete