I really miss Mike.
I have been sitting in my office for the past while trying to think of something to write, but all I can think of is how much I miss him. I miss his friendship, his laugh, his smile, his intelligence, his caring and all of his Mike-isms and quirks. We always had fun when we were together, always. While we didn't see each other that often over the last 10 years, or even talk that often on the phone, whenever we did it was like time had stood still. We cared about what each other was doing and how life, careers and family had evolved, but we also reverted back to the early days of our friendship remembering good times and for the most part poking fun at each other and laughing. In reading many of these blog entries my initial reaction is to react the way I would have if Mike had written or spoken them, which would have been to try to find some humour in them and then try to bring it out of the words hoping to poke a little fun at Mike, or at myself. For example, in reading Eliot's entry, I wonder whether the reason why Mike was so slow in getting up those stairs was that because, in addition to all his physical restrictions, he was still trying to walk up using the same arm and same leg at the same time (a la Monty Python), requiring extra concentration. I know Al, maybe a bit cruel, but I think that Mike, Brad and I would have had a good laugh. I am going to see if Lucas wants to try a few "silly walks" when I see him in a couple of weeks.
From my office, I have a beautiful view of the Northshore Mountains here in Vancouver. Many years ago, we took Mike on a hiking/camping trip there. Although Mike loved to camp and be in the outdoors we really took him out of his "comfort zone" on that trip, which we loved doing. There is fresh snow on the mountains today and the sun is shining. I am going to sit here a bit longer and miss Mike some more, with my feet on my desk and my hand on my coffee keeping it warm. If I had a woolly toque, I would put that on as well.
Goon.
No comments:
Post a Comment