Friday, February 18, 2011

Mike-isms


I hear these Mike-isms everyday, either in my own head or popping out of my mouth.  Each expression could be an entire blog entry at some point and likely will be ‘in the fullness of time’ (as Dennis would say… J).
Additions are most welcome.  I’m sure there are many.

Mike-ism:  Translation
Knees or bum, Mister:   Lucas, you need to sit down on your knees or bum.
Hand trap!:  Lucas, I need to wipe your hands.
I’m going to eat until 80%:   (self talk)- This food is sooo good but I’m really going to try not to eat to the point of discomfort.
This is a mean sammy:  This is a great sandwich.
We need ‘gro-see-airs’:  We need groceries
This iphone is so cool:  You should get an iphone
Look at the new Macs:  I want to get a new MacIntosh laptop.  Who wouldn’t?
Look at his pipes!:  Look at his really huge arm muscles.
Look at his guns!:  Look at his pipes!
Let’s go cut the rug:  Let’s go dance
______ never goes bad:  I’m going to eat this old piece of _____ in the fridge (e.g. pepperoni)
Hup!:  Get ready.  I’m about to throw something to you.
Heavy hup!;  Get ready.  I’m about to throw something heavy to you.
Pass the ham:  Pass the jam.
Pass the _____:  (family joke) The ____ isn’t on the table yet so please get up and get it for me.  Favourite useage ‘Pass the coffee’  Second favourite useage:  ‘Pass the ham’ (jam)
I’ve got a chill:  I’m going to put on my SmartWool socks, my zip-up sweater, and maybe even my toque.
I’m going to have a bowl of cereal (any time of the day):  Didn’t you know cereal is a food group?
I’m going to make coffee:  I’m going to make coffee—do you want some too?
We just ran out of coffee:  Serious emergency. 
This is a good coffee:  I’d like to sit here and drink coffee with the Globe and Mail for a really long time.
This ECG is so cool:  This is a rare and intellectually challenging electrocardiogram.  I will add it to my collection.
It’s fall down easy:  It’s like reading an ECG.
I’m going to get low:  I’m really tired so I’m going to start reading the newspaper or watching tv sitting on the couch with my feet up… but eventually I’m going to slide down low and probably fall asleep.
I’m a bag (of shit):  I’m really really tired.
I’m post-call:  It’s the day after working an on-call shift and I’m feeling like a bag.
I’m a hair bag:  My hair is so long, I need to go to Howard’s for a haircut.
I had a no-life-attack:  I was really really tired and got so giddy and silly I just about fell over laugh-crying.
I had a no-lifer:  I had a no-life-attack
Do you want to go out for breakfast?:  Do you want to go to Pan Chancho for orange juice, cappaccino, with muesli, or pain au chocolate, or maybe french toast (hold the applc butter, heavy on the maple syrup)??
I love you:  I love you
Emo:  Emily
Mister:  Lucas
Sar:  Sarah
The list of nicknames is endless…. I’m not even going to try….

2 comments:

  1. Sarah - Mike did have his own language .... funny to see the phrases in print with their literal translations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ‘Gro-see-airs’ comes from really early in my career as an accounting student in Cornwall. Each month, the french owner of a restaurant would drop off a coffee box of receipts and cash register tapes for me to prepare accounting records. The type of expense was marked on each receipt, many of which would be marked "grociers". I started referring to groceries this way at home. I was in my late teens.

    ReplyDelete