Lucas, Emily, and I were watching our nightly ritual of bedtime TV at 7:00pm. On came Mike’s favourite Backyardigan’s episode where the Backyardigans are surfer dudes and they practice their ‘rad moves’. I remember the night clearly when Mike first saw this episode with Lucas. I think it was their first Backyardigans show ever. Mike started singing: ‘Rad moves, really really rad moves’ and was dancing out the rad moves, with Lucas watching and laughing.
Later in the week, we watched an episode of Olivia, which is another household favourite. They started singing: ‘Dance like you’ve got ants in your pants’. Lucas eyes lit up in pure joyful glee at this thought. We all jumped off the couch and gave it a try…. I knew Mike was right there with us, leading the way. Lucas and I talked about just that idea…. ‘if Daddy were he, he would…’– Then, I told Lucas and Emily about how much Daddy liked to dance.
Mike had many signature moves. Most distinctive was always dancing ‘double time’ to the beat—like dancing in fast-motion except this was Mike’s normal speed. No kidding he would get drippy with sweat soon into the first set. Other key elements were Mike jumping with his arm raised in the air belting out the words or shrugging his shoulders along with great hip action. Any and all moves always included the most enormous, goofy smile. (You can see evidence of this in the previous blog post. We are, however, still in litigation with the paparazzi over that photo and I am shocked to see it in circulation).
With children, Mike's dancing life changed. I have many thoughts of Mike dancing around the house with the kids or for their entertainment (or his). I tried to attach a video of Lucas and Mike singing/performing Life is Live (though we always called it Life is Life). Technical difficulties. Maybe for another time. However, watching this little movie is to witness 'living in the moment' in its purest form.
Maybe Mike had a dance audition for his job at the Grizzly Grill! ... I think that was what that place was/is called? I remember him being in a parade in a car too .... going down Princess Ave. Funny :)
ReplyDeleteAdam & I danced to some "rad" moves today :)