Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pan Chancho






As Mike's sister-in-law my memories are of the day to day kind, maybe a bit mundane, but the ones that shape our lives. Once we moved back to Kingston in 2004 we were frequent visitors at each others houses ... decorating tips, best places to buy coffee, how many hours of sleep the night before (kid wake-ups, on-call interruptions), what we were going to do in -20 weather and only RMC pool to keep us going.

So I thought I would dedicate my next few posts to those simple things, the day to day Kingston pleasures that I know Mike took immense satisfaction in.

I will go back to my first post ... "Mike's Favourite Things", as it sets the stage for today. As I mentioned earlier, Mike had his "things" that he loved. Pan Chancho was one of those 'things'. To me Pan Chancho is all things good about Kingston ... relaxed, familiar, inviting and really good food!

Mike had lots to love about Pan Chancho, but I know that one of his top favs was the museli. I never fully appreciated what a regular PanChancho museli guy Mike was, but I do know that it was a very frequent 'post-call' stop off (I also know all the dr. lingo from Mike too).

It is funny, because Pan Chancho is also one of my favourite places in Kingston and I swear every time I would go there for lunch - 5-6x/ year there was Mike!!! I know that during the past year he was a regular, as it is a place that you leaves feeling a bit better than when you arrive.

So I give you the museli (and Globe), as the first stop in a showcase of Mike's favourite Kingston things.





1 comment:

  1. One of the happiest and most memorable PanChancho occasions was Andrew's and Sarah's post wedding rehearsal dinner, from which we have many photos. But the special times at PanChancho went on and on and it was regularly the go-to place for family get gatherings.

    Last spring Andrew was having weekly blood work done on Thursday or Friday mornings. Joan & I would often drive and then we'd go somewhere, usually PanChancho, for coffee or even "second breakfast" (al la Lord of the Rings). On Friday, June 11, it was a beautiful sunny day and the first day it was warm enough to sit out comfortably on PanChancho's patio. We each ordered and Andrew ordered French Toast, without the whipped cream. We talked and lingered amicably over our second breakfast in the warm sunshine and Andrew declared it "a good day".

    Andrew died early Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete