
Mike and I (and Sarah...and hopefully Lucas and Emily) shared a love of basketball. We obsessively followed the Raptors and loved discussing the teams progress and their future direction. We played in pick-up games together at the Queen's gym and also with some of the docs at KGH. Afterward, we would talk about each others 'game'.
An earlier blog post described Mike as being talented with his hands. It made me think of of how Mike considered his hands to be a disadvantage in basketball. Since he started playing in high school, Mike had always dreamed of palming a basketball effortlessly. However, while his hands were dexterous, muscular and strong, they were also about an inch too short. The basketball would eventually slip from the grip of his fingertips. But, that didn't stop him from talking about it. And, certainly didn't stop him from making futile attempts almost every time he picked one up. I bring this up because I think it demonstrates more than just the fact that he loved basketball. Mike had dreams in life that were both big and small and he never gave up on them, even when the odds were against him. I think we need to put Lucas on a finger stretching machine early in life.
No comments:
Post a Comment