Monday, March 28, 2011

Always a Student.

I watched Ferris Bueller’s Day off last night and one of the trailers prior to the movie was for Tommy Boy. There’s a great exchange in Tommy Boy, which makes me think of Andrew. “Lots of people go to college for 7 years” “Yes, and they are called doctors” Between public school, undergrad, summer courses, masters, med school and hours and hours spent in the hospital, it became a bit of a running joke (all be it painful at times) that Andrew was always in school. I always admired him for his dedication to learning. Even when a course posed a problem or he needed to take a masters to further prepare for med school, he set his sights on the end goal and worked hard to get there. Especially inspirational to me was his ability to adjust game plans to overcome obstacles or incorporate new circumstances (no matter how big). He was always confident in his ability and dedicated to his true passions. He would mention how he had taken a circuitous route to become a doctor. Yet this didn’t deter him. He took pleasure in the journey as well as the destination. Just recently I wrote a couple of exams for a designation I am pursuing. Here I am in my thirties and still taking formal education. I know that when I’m done my formal education, if ever, I will have him to thank for inspiring me to keep at it, be confident in my ability, stay dedicated to my passions (no matter how circuitous the route) and most of all take time to enjoy the journey as much as the destination. Without Andrew as a guide to overcoming obstacles and staying dedicated to ones passions, I would have given up long ago and missed out in the joys of the journey. Thanks for the inspiration Andrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment